Monday, August 1, 2011

The Crazy Bike Adventure

We have been walking everywhere for the last few weeks and have been planning on getting new bikes before school starts so Chris, Hailley and Elijah don't have to walk or taxi to school.  We actually had a guy take Chris to buy Hailley and Elijah's last week but couldn't work out a time when he could take us to buy ours.  Chris actually couldn't ride any of the bikes in the regular stores because of his height, so we had to go to the mall the furthest from us and ride the bikes home.  After making many excuses (saying I'm too fat, I haven't been on a bike in 10 years,etc.) all of which are true, I made up my mind to do it.  When we came to Thailand I promised myself I would enjoy it to the fullest and not be scared to do things.  I don't want Hailley and Elijah to say I can't or quit before they try something, so I quit making excuses and told Chris I would do it.
We took a taxi to the Paradise Park Mall.  I don't know how many miles it is, but with traffic, in the taxi it took us about 20 minutes to get there.  We went in, picked out our bikes, got them serviced and started off on our trek home.  Someone had told Chris about a back way to get home but not any specifics.  So, in our adventurous state, we rode through the hood of Bangkok, through neighborhoods, through construction sites, over bridges, through towns, shops and many places I believe no foreigners have ever been.  I say that because all the Thai people were coming out of their houses, shops and their jaws would drop when they drove by.  A few people were yelling LUK FARONG!  Which I'm pretty sure is crazy foreigner!  It was great.  I knew Chris did not have an exact knowledge of where we were, but I know he has good insticts and good directions, so I just followed and prayed that God would guide him and help us get home safely.  After about an hour and a half, Chris said, "I know exactly where we are!  We're on market street!"  We turned left and were home in less than 3 minutes.  I'm telling you, the girl who was too fat, who hadn't been on a bike in 10 years, who said she couldn't and wouldn't------DID!  I rode that cute, bright orange bike with basket and bell through the hood of Bangna, Bangkok, following the love of my life and trusting God completely.  It was the most exhilerating, fun adventure we have had in a while.  I know I made it with God's grace and love and that if I can ride that bike for an hour and a half, I can just about ride it anywhere in Bangkok, even if I do look like Nanny McFee!  So, THAT is the funnest story I have had so far and there is no way my words could do it justice.  I just know that I proved that if you put your mind to it, you can do anything through Jesus Christ.  AND........we made some Thai people's week.  I'm sure they will talk about that sight for weeks!  Love you all and until the next adventure..........Love!

2 comments:

  1. I love the story!! I wish I was there with a video camera LOL!!! you go girl it was nice to hear from you talk soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so envy you! Wow!You go girl! Your attitude towards all of this is so refreshing. Kuddos to you for being an inspiration to us all and encouraging us to find the joys of life in all things. The Lord gives us blessing after blessing and we need to cease the moments way more often. Thank you so much for sharing. Many prayers being lifted up for you all.-Angela

    ReplyDelete